LNT Quick Start Guide
If nothing else, remember: Pack Out what you Pack In
Other seriously useful tips:
– Remove all extra wrapping and packaging from items before you get to Firefly – before you even pack the car, if you can.
– Bring MOOP (Matter Out Of Place) bags, and count on taking at least one full size trash bag per person back in your vehicle – industrial bags work great! If you’re planning on coming on the Burner Bus, coordinate with others to get a bag back in their vehicle – don’t leave it for others to pick up!
– If you join a camp, make sure you know who your LNT contact is. If you have questions, they should be able to provide answers – or at the very least, point you to someone who can.
– Lose something? Make a point to check the Lost and Found while at the event and again before you leave.
– Smokers! Don’t toss your butts into the forest – contain them after use! Altoids containers or plastic gum containers make great ash/butt collectors and are easy to empty into a larger MOOP containers.
– Reuse reuse reuse! Don’t create needless waste! Bring a refillable water bottle rather than the 24-packs.
– Remind your neighbors. It’s really easy to get caught up in the idea that “somebody will take care of it” – remember, radical self reliance! Take care of your own MOOP and remind others to do the same.